Thursday, June 11, 2009

Teacher There's No Tie When it Comes to You...

My youngest son Avery is "graduating" from grade school (6th Grade) tomorrow morning. It's sort of a momentous occasion because he is the last of my four boys to leave grade school. My eldest son Ian is 24, and Avery is half his age at 12. We've had a child (or children) attending Taft Elementary School for 15 years (since Ian started 4th grade)... right across the street from our house. Now I'm starting to really feel time passing. (sigh)

Anyway, I've always made gifts for Avery's teachers, and he has been reminding me all week about how I need to get something done for his teachers (he has two this year). Trouble is, they are both men. Somehow I don't think they'd get excited about the handmade scrapbooks and such I've made for his female teachers in the past. Maybe I'm wrong! {LOL} In any case, I told Avery I'd make cards, but perhaps we should give them candy as a gift. He's good with that.

Here's the first card I made:


This is for Taylored Expressions Cupcake Challenge #71. I just love this sketch! And it was so easy to put this card together using TE's Boys Will Be Boys stamp set and Brilliant Key Ingredients, which is apparently sold out. I'm telling you, if you haven't tried Taylored Expressions Key Ingredients kits, you're missing out! Taylor has a great eye for putting together just the right cardstock, DP, ribbons and other goodies.

The "Teacher" stamp is from Papertrey Ink's Teacher's Apple stamp set. Inside, I used a stamp from Gina K that says "You're the Best!" So the whole thing reads, "Teacher, there's no tie when it comes to you... you're the best!"

Avery is very happy with this card because his teacher has boasted that he has enough ties to wear a different one every day for a year. Now, that's a lot of ties!

Off I go to make a card for his other teacher. Nothing like waiting until the last moment. I guess I work best under pressure. Ha!

Thanks for stopping by!


8 comments:

Debbie Pamment said...

Avery's teacher is going to LOVE this - what a fantastic male card!! I bet there's a touch of sadness at the end of an era - Toby will be graduating from Grade 6 in December next year and I will know how you feel. To have such a long association with a school is a very special thing - I know it will feel strange to walk past the school and not go in!!
Hope you guys have a FABULOUS Summer vacation though...
Lotsaluv and Hugs!
xXx

Patti J. said...

Card is great, layout is great! Colors are just gorgeous! Great job Lisa. The men will love your cards and the candy too. Have a good night...

Patti J. said...

Oh...almost forgot - I really, REALLY love how it matches your blog!

Stamp and Smile said...

So sweet Lisa! I bet it's hard seeing Avery (your baby!) graduate and move on... and making us feel OLD! LOL! I'm sure it will be a teary eyed moment tomorrow morning.... I'll be thinking of you! :)

Such a GORGEOUS card!! Love the colors, and those ties rock... perfect for a Father's Day card too! You are so nice in making up a card and gift for the teachers...Avery will have a smile on his face!

I just picked out my free stamp set at Verve for the Mojo Monday win!! I still can't believe it... I never win anything! LOL... :)

Amy's Stocking Stuffers said...

What a cute card! I came across your blog as I'm searching for inkstamping projects and inspiration.

So from your blog name and the graphics, I guess you like cats? We have seven.... ;-)

Vicki G said...

Lisa, this is adorable! I LOVe the layout and colours!!! Awesome!

Vicki

Susan (coffeeforme) said...

Congrats to Avery! This is a great card...love the colors. That is a great stamp for many "male" cards. Great job.

Kristine said...

The PERFECT card for a male teacher :)