Sunday, April 10, 2011

How God Showed His Love


A blessed Fifth Sunday in Lent to you! This is the day that the Lord hath made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Our challenge hostess this week at Stampin' Sisters in Christ is my dear friend and co-founder of SSIC, Kris Breach! Kris chose as her inspiration scripture Mark 15:17 "They put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him." Her challenge is to use shades of purple as your main color and/or use wood paper or elements on your card/project.

This description of Jesus being mocked and tortured before crucifixion found in Mark 15:17 is well-known to Christians...really to everyone since it has been the subject of many artists' portrayal of the life and death of Christ.  But what many of us may not truly grasp is the horror of what was done to him. "Again and again they struck him on the head with a staff and spit on him. Falling on their knees they paid homage to him, and when they had mocked him, they took off the purple robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him out to crucify him." Mark 15:18-20

I've never seen Mel Gibson's movie The Passion of the Christ, mainly because I heard that the depiction of Jesus's scourging and crucifixion are extremely gory and graphic and I cannot bear to watch that sort of thing. But I believe it's important that we think about this... the brutality of what Jesus endured... so that we can better understand the sacrifice Christ made for you and me. Think on this my friends.

My card features image and scripture from the beautiful Easter Blessings stamp set by Taylored Expressions, paired with patterned paper by Websters Pages.

I hope you'll join us for our challenge this week. Simon Says Stamp is our sponsor and has offered an adorable stamp set as a prize to one lucky player. I encourage you to visit the SSIC blog to read Kris's devotional and see all the lovely cards made by the design team this week. You will be blessed!

10 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Hi Lisa!! I am unable to watch the Passion either because of the graphics and my inability to see what He endured. It truly is food for thought and something we should think of though!

Gorgeous card!! I just love the colors, design with the cross and verse and your seam binding/ flower detail.

Have a great Sunday!

hugs,
Chris

Grace said...

Hi Lisa! Your card is gorgeous! Love that label shape and your cross image is wonderful! Love the purple roses and seam binding! Your words are soooo true! We tend to become immune to the REAL suffering He did for us! Thanks for the reflections! Have a wonderful week!
hugs,
Grace

Cindy Haffner said...

Lisa this is BEAUTIFUL!!~

Jami said...

Your card is beautiful!

I did see Passon of the Christ - yes it was hard to watch, but worth it. I didn't think I could do it either, but I recommend it to everyone.

Thanks for your post today!

Miesje said...

Love it Lisa! I cannot watch that movie either for the same reason. I agree we have to think about it though. Your card is awesome! Love that you went with the wood in the challenge! Have a great week my friend!

Kristine said...

Beautiful card Lisa! I love how the verse is the focal point and your shading of it is perfection. The cross on that DP is so nice too. Have a wonderful week!! ((hugs))

Wendy M said...

Beautiful card Lisa

Wendy xx

Patti J said...

I actually bought the movie when VHS was still current. It's still in its wrapper - like you, I've been unable to open it. Beautiful card Lisa, and thanks for your wonderful words, as well. Hugs, dear friend!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card Lisa! We had a lot of scripture set to music when the girls were growing up.. Steve Green and I can't remember the other... this scripture was one and I've always loved singing them!
Pam Going Postal

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Lisa - what a fabulous card! I love the scripture as the focal point and your colours are divine! The cross is perfect too. I enjoyed reading your devotional - the passion of the Christ was an intense movie but certainly made an impact - funnily enough the cricification and Christs suffering was not the thing that stays etched in my mind - I will tell you what it is another time!! LOL! God lbess you Sistah! {{{hugs}}}