Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sweet Success!

Happy Sunday dear friends! I have a card to share today that I made last night for my nephew. He graduated from Tupelo HS (Mississippi) a couple of weeks ago. I am shamefully behind in sending this (and a few other) cards... but I'm sure Dylan will forgive me when he gets his card and a check. Ha!

I don't often make graduation cards, so I don't have any stamp sets. Fortunately, Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps has a digital set called Congrats Grad. It seemed like a good time to try The Sweet Stop Sketch Challenge.

Since this is going to a young man, I couldn't frill it up too much (which is hard!). I decided to use his school colors, and to try the wax paper background technique Gina demonstrated recently on Stamp TV. It's fun and easy to do, but the More Mustard ink turned yellow on the glossy cardstock. I thought it looked okay, anyway, and sorta brought a third color into the mix.

The yellow dots are Candy Dots (I love those little darlings!). The base is Prisma and a bit more royal blue looking than it appears in the picture. The mat is More Mustard, as are the tag and brads. The DP behind the mortarboard is from the SU Pattern Packs collection (More Mustard), and the grograin ribbons are both from SU.

I need to make one more graduation card, this time in green and orange. I'd better get to it.

Have a happy day!

7 comments:

Debbie Pamment said...

WOW - Lisa, this is an awesome graduation card!! Graduation seems to be such a big thing in the U.S. - luckily for me it's not so big here with Sarah in her final year at high school, plus all her friends!!! Boy that would keep me busy at the end of the year (our school year runs with the calendar year!)
I love all the details - enough there to make an amazing card but not too much to make it girly - fantastis job!!!!
Yay - long weekend here - I get an extra day!
Big hugs and xXx

Stamp and Smile said...

Hey girly!! Now you have out done yourself again... I'm so loving the colors and that wax paper technique is perfect and not girly at all!! I'm sure your nephew will love your card and the $$$... we all love that part! :) Those yellow candy dots are fun too! You enabler... LOL!
Well off to make some popcorn and chai tea... I need to warm up in this cold Minnesota weather. I'm so happy you are enjoying the cooler temps your way.. give it a couple weeks and I will be crabby with the HUMIDITY!! Grrrrr.. I can't stand it! Then I must stamp more to keep my mind of... RIGHT! Hugs... Michelle :)

Leah said...

Hi Lisa! Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my blog:) It's so nice to "meet" you too:) I am also absolutely thrilled to be on the SNSS team, a total dream come true for me too! Love your creations, I've been browsing;) See you!

Susan (coffeeforme) said...

Well this turned out mighty nice. I will need to give the wax paper technique a try. I love the look of it.

See you soon!

Susan

Cindy Haffner said...

Wow Lisa this is so striking, awesome job!!

Vicki G said...

WOW!! Lisa, this is very very very Gorgeous! Elegant, love the colours!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous graduation card, Lisa! This is going to warm your young man's heart for sure. I love the colors you used, and that neat wax paper technique in the background!